OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this article is to compare the vascular enhancement obtained with a low-kilovoltage pulmonary CT angiography (CTA) protocol in lean patients, using 40 mL of a moderate-concentration isoosmolar (iodixanol, 320 mg I/mL) and a high-concentration low-osmolar (iomeprol, 400 mg I/mL) iodinated contrast medium injected at the same iodine delivery rate. SUBJECTS AND METHODS. Forty-two lean patients (31 men and 11 women; body mass index, <= 23 kg/m(2)) with suspected pulmonary embolism and non-small cell lung carcinoma underwent pulmonary CTA with a 64-MDCT scanner using a tube voltage of 80 kV. Twenty-three patients (54.8%) received 40 mL of iodixanol (320 mg I/mL) injected at a rate of 5 mL/s, and the remaining 19 patients (45.2%) were administered an equal volume of iomeprol (400 mg I/mL) at a flow rate of 4 mL/s. Intraarterial density was measured in the common pulmonary artery trunk, the main right and left pulmonary arteries, lobar arteries, and at the segmental level, for a total of 15 regions of interest per patient. Intravascular enhancement homogeneity from central to subsegmental level was also assessed visually using a semiquantitative score (1 = poor, 2 = good, and 3 = excellent). RESULTS. The overall vascular density of pulmonary arteries down to the segmental level was significantly higher with iodixanol (320 mg I/mL) than with iomeprol (400 mg I/mL) (p = 0.036). Enhancement homogeneity was good with both contrast agents, with no statistically significant difference between them (p = 0.8966). CONCLUSION. In 80-kV pulmonary CTA of lean patients, higher intravascular enhancement can be achieved with 40 mL of iodixanol (320 mg I/mL) than with the same volume of iomeprol (400 mg I/mL), with good vessel conspicuity down to the subsegmental level.
|Autori:||Faggioni L; Neri E; Sbragia P; Pascale R; D'Errico L; Caramella D; Bartolozzi C|
|Titolo:||80-kV pulmonary CT angiography with 40 mL of iodinated contrast material in lean patients: comparison of vascular enhancement with iodixanol (320 mg I/mL) and iomeprol (400 mg I/mL)|
|Anno del prodotto:||2012|
|Digital Object Identifier (DOI):||10.2214/AJR.11.8122|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|