An intensive third generation regimen (P-VABEC) including adriamycin, etoposide, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, bleomycin and prednisolone was administered to 43 unselected elderly patients with intermediate or high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHL). The median age was 67, 40 per cent were Ann Arbor stage IV, 73 per cent had 'B' symptoms, 55 per cent had bulky disease, 48 per cent had serum lactate dehydrogenase greater than 450 U/l, 85 per cent had serum thymidine-kinase greater than 4 U/l. Thirty patients were previously untreated. The complete remission (CR) rate was 74 per cent, and the partial remission (PR) rate 23 per cent, with an overall response rate of 97 per cent. The regimen was carried out on an outpatient basis in all patients. No death occurred during therapy. The Kaplan-Meier actuarial survival of all patients at 3-years is 47 per cent, and 50 per cent (16/32) of all patients who attained CR remain alive and in remission at a median of 21+ months (range 6+ to 42+). These results confirm that high remission and failure-free survival rates can be achieved also in elderly unselected patients with aggressive NHL treated with curative intent.
|Autori interni:||CARULLI, GIOVANNI|
|Autori:||Caracciolo F; Petrini M; Capochiani E; Papineschi F; Carulli G; Grassi B|
|Titolo:||Alternating chemotherapy regimen (P-VABEC) for intermediate and high-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the middle aged and elderly.|
|Anno del prodotto:||1994|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|