BJECTIVE To evaluate the long-term renal function, continence, and voiding function in 64 patients, surviving for 5 or more years after W-shaped ileal neobladder with a short afferent limb and refluxing ureterointestinal anastomoses. MATERIALS AND METHODS Kidney morphology and function were evaluated using nuclear renography, creatinine, and glomerular filtration rate. Continence and voiding function were evaluated with a diary on frequency, voided volumes, number of pads, and with the incontinence severity index (ISI) questionnaire, the American Urological Association-Symptom Index (AUA-SI), and the American Urological Association-Symptom Problem Index. RESULTS The renal scan showed a dilatation of the upper urinary tract in 4.8% of renoureteral units. Of the patients, 12.5% voided with intermittent or permanent catheterization. The remaining 87.5% voided spontaneously; 75% did not use pads, 12.5% used protection for safety, 7.1% 1 pad, and 5.4% more than 1 pad, during the day; during night, 55.3% did not use pads, 23.2% used protection for safety, and 12.6% and 8.9% 1 or more than 1 pad. The ISI questionnaire showed that 35.7% were fully continent, whereas 41%, 12.5%, and 10.8% had slight, moderate, and severe incontinence. The AUA-SI showed that 50% had mild, 39.3% moderate, and 10.7% severe lower urinary tract symptoms. Urinary incontinence, daytime frequency, and nocturia correlated positively with the age of patients at follow-up and negatively with voided volume. CONCLUSION Long-term detrimental effect on renal function of orthotopic neobladder with no antireflux anastomoses is limited. Long-term continence and voiding function results are satisfactory. The ISI questionnaire might be useful to evaluate and grade incontinence in patients with orthotopic neobladder, whereas the AUA-SI has many limitations. (C) 2013 Elsevier Inc.

Long-term Functional Outcomes in Patients With a W-shaped Ileal Orthotopic Neobladder With No Antireflux Mechanism

MARIANI, CHIARA;PAGNI, ROBERTA;SANTARSIERI, MICHELE;MORELLI, GIROLAMO;GIANNESE, DOMENICO;MINERVINI, RICCARDO
2013-01-01

Abstract

BJECTIVE To evaluate the long-term renal function, continence, and voiding function in 64 patients, surviving for 5 or more years after W-shaped ileal neobladder with a short afferent limb and refluxing ureterointestinal anastomoses. MATERIALS AND METHODS Kidney morphology and function were evaluated using nuclear renography, creatinine, and glomerular filtration rate. Continence and voiding function were evaluated with a diary on frequency, voided volumes, number of pads, and with the incontinence severity index (ISI) questionnaire, the American Urological Association-Symptom Index (AUA-SI), and the American Urological Association-Symptom Problem Index. RESULTS The renal scan showed a dilatation of the upper urinary tract in 4.8% of renoureteral units. Of the patients, 12.5% voided with intermittent or permanent catheterization. The remaining 87.5% voided spontaneously; 75% did not use pads, 12.5% used protection for safety, 7.1% 1 pad, and 5.4% more than 1 pad, during the day; during night, 55.3% did not use pads, 23.2% used protection for safety, and 12.6% and 8.9% 1 or more than 1 pad. The ISI questionnaire showed that 35.7% were fully continent, whereas 41%, 12.5%, and 10.8% had slight, moderate, and severe incontinence. The AUA-SI showed that 50% had mild, 39.3% moderate, and 10.7% severe lower urinary tract symptoms. Urinary incontinence, daytime frequency, and nocturia correlated positively with the age of patients at follow-up and negatively with voided volume. CONCLUSION Long-term detrimental effect on renal function of orthotopic neobladder with no antireflux anastomoses is limited. Long-term continence and voiding function results are satisfactory. The ISI questionnaire might be useful to evaluate and grade incontinence in patients with orthotopic neobladder, whereas the AUA-SI has many limitations. (C) 2013 Elsevier Inc.
Minervini, A; Mariani, Chiara; Pagni, Roberta; Santarsieri, Michele; Morelli, Girolamo; Giannese, Domenico; Ficarra, V; Minervini, Riccardo
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11568/848988
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 3
social impact