BACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to evaluate the incidence of major amputations and critical limb ischemia in an unselected population of western Tuscany. METHODS: Out of an overall 1234000 people living in Pisa and surroundings (western Tuscany), a total amount of 306 patients underwent 319 different major/minor amputations during the year 2002 in private and public hospitals, both in Tuscany and in other regions. RESULTS: 84.6% (n = 270) of the amputations were atherosclerotic, while 15.4% (n = 49) were non-atherosclerotic. The patients with unreconstructable critical limb ischemia, who underwent amputations at the symptomatic limbs, had a minor amputation rate (at toes or forefoot) of 46.7%, while the major amputation rate (over the ankle) was 53.3%. The 144 major amputations were performed in 76.4% (n = 110) of the cases above the knee and in the remaining 23.6% (n = 34) of cases below the knee. Early hospital mortality rates of the amputees for ischemic causes were 7.6% in patients who underwent major amputations, and 0.8% in cases with minor amputations, respectively. Overall, in western Tuscany, the incidence of the major amputation rate per million inhabitants was 117 cases per year, with a total of 468 new cases of reconstructable and unreconstructable critical limb ischemia per year (this number was calculated multiplying by 4 the number of major amputations). CONCLUSIONS: On the basis of our real epidemiological data, the theoretical major amputation rates per year were 408 in Tuscany and 6652 in Italy, respectively. The extrapolation of our results showed that the overall critical limb ischemia incidence consists of 1638 cases in Tuscany and of 26676 patients in Italy, respectively.
|Autori interni:||BALBARINI, ALBERTO|
|Autori:||Melillo E; Nuti M; Bongiorni L; Golgini E; Balbarini A|
|Titolo:||Major and minor amputation rates and lower critical limb ischemia: the epidemiological data of western Tuscany|
|Anno del prodotto:||2004|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|