Purpose Although most Leydig cell tumors are benign, radical orchiectomy is currently considered the standard therapy. We retrospectively analyzed the long-term followup of a series of patients with Leydig cell tumors electively treated with testis sparing surgery. Materials and Methods Between November 1990 and December 2005, 17 consecutive patients with Leydig cell tumors underwent testis sparing surgery on an elective basis. Preoperative evaluation included physical examination, serum markers for germ cell tumors, scrotal ultrasound, abdominal computerized tomography, chest x-ray and hormonal profile if clinically required. Testis sparing surgery was performed via an inguinal approach with spermatic cord clamping. Frozen section examination was performed in all cases, revealing Leydig cell tumors. Followup consisted of physical examination, scrotal ultrasound, abdominal computerized tomography and chest x-ray every 6 months for the first 2 years, then annually. Tumor recurrence and survival were evaluated. Results Mean patient age was 41.6 years (range 28 to 55). Medical referral was prompted by symptoms/signs such as infertility, gynecomastia or self-palpation of scrotal mass in 11 patients (64.7%), while in the remaining 6 (35.3%) the lesions were incidentally diagnosed. Hormonal profile was performed in 9 patients, showing abnormalities in all. Mean tumor diameter was 13.4 mm (range 5 to 31). Definitive pathological examination confirmed benign Leydig cell tumor in all cases. After a mean followup of 91 months (range 12 to 192), neither local recurrence nor distant metastases have been detected and all patients are alive without evidence of disease.

Long-term follow-up after testis-sparing surgery for Leydig cell tumors: a single center experience

MOGOROVICH, ANDREA;MENCHINI FABRIS, FILIPPO;MORELLI, GIROLAMO;MANASSERO, FRANCESCA;PINGITORE, RAFFAELE;SELLI, CESARE
2007

Abstract

Purpose Although most Leydig cell tumors are benign, radical orchiectomy is currently considered the standard therapy. We retrospectively analyzed the long-term followup of a series of patients with Leydig cell tumors electively treated with testis sparing surgery. Materials and Methods Between November 1990 and December 2005, 17 consecutive patients with Leydig cell tumors underwent testis sparing surgery on an elective basis. Preoperative evaluation included physical examination, serum markers for germ cell tumors, scrotal ultrasound, abdominal computerized tomography, chest x-ray and hormonal profile if clinically required. Testis sparing surgery was performed via an inguinal approach with spermatic cord clamping. Frozen section examination was performed in all cases, revealing Leydig cell tumors. Followup consisted of physical examination, scrotal ultrasound, abdominal computerized tomography and chest x-ray every 6 months for the first 2 years, then annually. Tumor recurrence and survival were evaluated. Results Mean patient age was 41.6 years (range 28 to 55). Medical referral was prompted by symptoms/signs such as infertility, gynecomastia or self-palpation of scrotal mass in 11 patients (64.7%), while in the remaining 6 (35.3%) the lesions were incidentally diagnosed. Hormonal profile was performed in 9 patients, showing abnormalities in all. Mean tumor diameter was 13.4 mm (range 5 to 31). Definitive pathological examination confirmed benign Leydig cell tumor in all cases. After a mean followup of 91 months (range 12 to 192), neither local recurrence nor distant metastases have been detected and all patients are alive without evidence of disease.
Giannarini, Gianluca; Mogorovich, Andrea; MENCHINI FABRIS, Filippo; DE MARIA, Massimiliano; Morelli, Girolamo; Manassero, Francesca; Loggini, Barbara; Pingitore, Raffaele; Cavazzana, Andrea; Poggini, Barbara; Selli, Cesare
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11568/115100
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus ND
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 63
social impact